The rapid advancement of technology has aided and renewed the interest in photography as a hobby or even as a career and led an increased demand for photography courses in India – short term certificate courses, one year duration diploma courses or a part of a two year degree program in applied/ commercial art.
Here’s a listing (not a ranking) of the top 10 institutes that offer courses in photography in India.
1. National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad is a top rung government institute offering a one-year post graduate program in photography design. The program focuses on areas related to photo journalism and fashion, forensic and portrait photography. The certificate offered on completion of the course is a post graduate diploma from NID as well as a Masters of Fine Art offered by the University for Creative Arts, Farnham, UK.
Photography Design at NID, Ahmedabad http://www.nid.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=183&Itemid=236
2. Sir JJ School of Applied Arts, Mumbai offers a four year bachelors degree in Fine Arts from the Mumbai University. While the first year is the foundation year, the rest of the course focuses on Photography. Credited with providing the Indian Advertising Industry with most of its artistic talent, the institute is looking to getting an autonomy status soon.
3. College of Art, Delhi University – Established in 1942, the institute offers a Bachelor in Fine Arts degree from the University of Delhi. It also offers advanced training in the form of a Masters degree. The teachers usually consist of practicing professionals and visiting faculty from the industry.
College of Art, Delhi University http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/lib_collegeofart/Collegeofarts/Home
4. Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai – A certificate course at this institute and helps the student understand the basics of photography both in terms of its technical and aesthetic values. Students can also study photography as a subject within the Journalism and Mass communication diploma course.
5. Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad offers a part-time post graduate program in Photography and Visual Communication from the JNTU College of Fine Arts. Admissions are based on the performance of the student in the entrance examination which is organized by the University.
6. Shari Academy of Photography and Digital Imaging, Mumbai, the first academy in India to be certified as an authorized training center by Adobe, offers full as well as part time courses for professional photography. The visiting faculty includes many renowned Indian photographers.
7. Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts & Communication, New Delhi – A unit of Sri Aurobindo Society, the institute offers a one year post graduate diploma in professional photography as well as a short term three month certificate course in still photography. The department is headed by Nitin Rai who has trained under and been mentored by eminent photographer Raghu Rai.
8. National Institute of Photography, Mumbai is an ISO 9001:2008 certified institute which offers a variety of courses starting from a foundation course which enables the understanding of the basics in photography in 4 sessions to a diploma in photography which can be completed in 6 months.
Basic courses in photography to diploma in photography http://www.focusnip.com
9. Ambitions 4 Photography Academy, Chennai is the certified training center for Cannon India. The institute trains students in basic and advanced photography.
10. National Academy of Photography, Kolkata – Founded by Madhu Sarkar, this institute is the first of its kind in Eastern India. The courses offered range from basic 3 day courses to intense and specialized 6 month courses. The company’s vision is to develop awareness about photography and promote it as an art and a career.
Teaching photography in Eastern India http://www.napindia.org/nap_about.htm
Editor's note: Most articles submitted to Chillibreeze go through a selection process. Only 30 percent of submitted articles are accepted for publication on the Chillibreeze.com featured article list. All accepted articles are edited and proofread for glaring errors of punctuation and grammar. Sentence structure is changed in certain cases and sometimes, entire sections are rewritten. If you notice any errors that have slipped through the cracks, do let us know! (Email us at info at chillibreeze dot com).
Chillibreeze's disclaimer: This is a contributed article and was published on Chillibreeze in August, 2010. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) and do not reflect the views of Chillibreeze as a company. Chillibreeze has a strict anti-plagiarism policy. Please contact us to report any copyright issues related to this article. The relevance of the facts and figures cited (if any) could change after a period of time.