Today, India has hundreds of engineering colleges that have churned out thousands of graduates in the past few years. But obviously, not all engineering colleges are made equal. In this article, we will be looking at some of the good ones.
About IIT Kanpur:
IIT Kanpur is adjudged as India's No. 1 Engineering Institute.
The Indian Institute of Technology in Kanpur engages in carrying out original research of significance and development of cutting edge technology. It imparts training to students so that they become competent and motivated engineers and scientists. The Institute celebrates freedom of thought, cultivates vision and encourages growth, but also inculcates human values and concern for the environment and society.
The Institute awards Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degrees in various branches of technology and science. It has been making special efforts to recruit talented faculty on a world-wide basis and to admit bright students from all over the country by a careful selection process through JEE/GATE/JMET/JAM. The Institute has about 1450 undergraduate and 850 postgraduate students, 300 faculty, and more than 1500 supporting staff. It has one of the finest scientific & technological library with an online information retrieval system over the campus LAN.
The institute offers short term courses on Supply Chain Management, ORACLE Based Application Development, Spray and Combustion.
Arranges for Conferences/Workshops/Symposium.
IIT Kanpur was the first institution to organize the Winter Academy Program in 2002. Observing the phenomenal success of the first Winter Academy,now the 6th Indo – German Winter Academy will be organized by IIT Guwahati in Deccember 2007.
The main objective of this program is to motivate the talented students from the premier technological institutions of India and the Univ. of Erlangen-Nuremberg to the challenging problems in science and engineering.
The institute also celeberates the Hindi Diwas Day on 14/09/07 and organizes competition like Essay Competition, Translation and Vocabulary Competition, Dictation Competition, Noting/Drafting Competition, Poetry recitation Competition for the Faculties/Students/Officers/Staff members of the Institute.
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur publishes a quarterly scientific magazine named Directions’. Directions is the voice of the Institute scientific community, its shared view of ideas. The magazine is a platform to reflect upon the Institute’s ongoing research and development work in many different arenas. A typical special issue of the magazine contains articles written by IIT Kanpur faculty in a particular field of science and technology reviewing developments in that particular field with focus upon the Institute’s contribution in relevant areas. Shaped out of contributions from the members, it most aptly symbolizes the spirit of collective endeavor guiding the Institute as it confronts the present and the future challenges.
Achievement: The IITK students developed a project named “THE SNITCH” which includes design and fabrication of an Remote Controlled plane which was mainly taken to build aircraft model with optimized performance characteristics in different phases of flights and mission requirements. This project has won the first prize in National Level Design Contest.
Research And Development:
The Institute takes pride in its active involvement in Research and Development. The R&D activities are taking place in order to provide high quality education to students. In fact, the integration of teaching and research has been a major force for enriching the quality and relevance of education imparted to students at IIT Kanpur. Thus, if the institute fails to attract high quality research scholars, its R&D output will suffer.
About IIT Kharagpur:
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur that was established in 1951, is the oldest of the seven IITs in India. The IITs were created with a vision for excellence in Science and Engineering. IIT Kharagpur offers the maximum number of engineering disciplines among the seven IITs in India, to choose from. The institute has the largest campus of about 1800 acres-2100 acres among the IITs.
IIT Kharagpur is particularly famous for its festivals: Illumination and Rangoli, Spring Fest and Kshitij.
The backbone of lIT Kharagpur network is based on gigabit fibre optic technology. All the Departmental LANs are connected to the gigabit fibre optic backbone as separate VLANs. E-mail and Internet facilities are provided by three links. All laboratories, faculty and officers chambers, all rooms in halls of residence are provided with Internet connectivity.
The institute has a separate cell known as the SRIC (Sponsored Research and Industrial Consultancy) cell since 1982 which handles sponsored research projects and industrial consultancy assignments. Also the cell has the infrastructure to simultaneously administer 600 R&D projects.
Professors in IIT Kharagpur are also involved in publishing books like “Strained-Si Heterostructure Field Effect Devices”
“Principles of Mine Planning”,
“Quantum Information, Computation and Communication” and
“Food Processing Operations Analysis”.
The Institute announces the Nina Saxena Excellence in Technology Award in a bid to encourage and promote technical innovation in memory of its illustrious alumna Dr. Nina Saxena, B.Tech (Hons.), ECE 1992 who passed away in 2005.
The placement statistics for the year 2001-2005 is recorded as
As seen the placement percentage is increasing year by year and at present it provides 100% placement for the students in this institute.
Facts and Figures:
A few of the new developments at IIT KGP
- New campus at Rajarhat.
- New school on intellectual property law.
IIT Kharagpur signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Virginia Commonwealth University for students exchange programs and faculty visits.
Research And Development:
IIT-Kharagpur has an enviable record in the field of technological research and development. Even though it is best known as an academic institution, it gives a parallel importance on research and development activities as it has on teaching. Many companies like SAIL, TISCO, MECON, BHEL etc. have joined hands with the institute to carry out Technology Development Missions initiated by the Planning Commission of India and various other challenging development programs.
- ‘Cryomachining’ is one such technology which is close to moving to factories from the IIT's laboratories. This technology, involves the use of liquid nitrogen in industrial metal cutting as a coolant, avoiding the generation of toxic coolant waste.Researchers in the past have tried and failed, to use liquid nitrogen as a coolant whereas IIT - Kharagpur has found a way to do this. This process does not leave behind any polluted residue, as liquid nitrogen evaporates.
- Another important contribution made by the institute is in the field of ‘Microzonation’, using which the safety corridor for a seismic hazard can be ascertained.
- The Institute has also set up a Laser Processing Laboratory to develop industrial application for lasers.
Apart from these projects, the IIT has contributed a lot in terms of research in other fields, such as nano-particles, porous ceramics and metal casting, and in terms of innumerable projects sponsored by the Indian Space Research Organization, the Defence Research and Development Organization and other governmental agencies. The Institute also contributes to basic science through the research and published works of its faculty.
About IIT BOMBAY:
IIT Bombay being recognized as one of the centers of academic excellence in the country was established in 1958, at Powai, a northern suburb of Mumbai. There has been dynamic progress in all academic and research activities, and a parallel improvement in facilities and infrastructure and is one of the best institutions of the world.
Objectives and Goals:
The institute aims at providing - best possible educational facilities - creative atmosphere for higher studies and research- to organize short intensive courses, conferences and seminars on current technological developments, quality improvement programs for faculty members from various engineering colleges.
Also besides professional courses it also emphasizes studies in Humanities that help the students to interact more positively with the society in which he/she lives. The Institute also contributes to the industrial development and economic growth of the country by preparing a cadre of engineers and scientists, who provide both man power and support R&D work for industries in addition to providing facilities for higher education, training and research in various fields of engineering and technology.
- International Affiliations:
Basic French communication course
French film show
Basic French Communication course
Research degree involving a thesis at UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA
MoU's (Memorandum of Understanding) with foreign universities
- Student Exchange Program
Two of the leading Universities in Asia announce a Student Exchange Program for M.Tech. and Dual Degree students: Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay &
School of Engineering, National University of Singapore.
The main aim of this program is:
THINK GLOBAL! STUDY INTRENATIONAL!
- Apart from U.G, P.G and Ph.D Programs IIT Also offers
* Corrosion Science & Engineering
* Energy Systems Engineering
* Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IEOR)
* Reliability Engineering
* Systems and Control Engineering
- Outreach Programs:
IIT Bombay arranges for variety of programs for the staff and students which brings social awareness. Some of them are listed
- Continuing Education Program:
With the rapid pace of growth in technological knowledge and frequent paradigm shifts in technology, Continuing Education of working professionals in industry is a vital need. The Continuing Education Program(CEP) at IIT Bombay has been set up to meet the manpower training and knowledge up gradation needs of the industry.
- Quality Improvement Program (QIP)
The Government of India launched the Quality Improvement Program (QIP) in the year 1970. One of the main objectives of the Program is to upgrade the expertise and capabilities of the faculty members of the degree-level engineering institutions in the country. The Program is now being implemented and monitored by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE - A Statutory Body of the Government of India).
At present there are three main activities under QIP serving the faculty of degree-level engineering institutions. Providing opportunities for faculty members of AICTE-recognized degree - level engineering institutions to improve their qualifications, by offering admissions to Master’s and PhD. degree programs.
i) Organizing Short Term Courses at the QIP Centers for serving teachers.
ii) Curriculum Development Cell activities which help to improve classroom teaching.
ENTHUSIASM + INTELLECT = IITB STUDENTS !
The institute pays way for excellent placement opportunities and the main reasons for the recruiters to focus on IIT Bombay is
- Achievement through Excellence
- Recognized worldwide as a leader in the field of research and education in engineering and sciences.
- The academic program reflects the institute's commitment to stay in tune with the expanding frontiers of knowledge worldwide.
- Extracurricular activities are also treated with equal importance towards overall development making the students at IIT Bombay fit to take on the challenges faced in the competitive corporate world.
- World Class Faculty.
- All Surveys provide a very good ranking for this institution.
Asia Week 1999 - IITB 6th in Asia
Asia Week 2000 - IITB 3rd in Asia
India Today 2000 - IITB 1st in India
Education Today 2003 - IITB 3rd in India
Indian Institute of Technology Madras, is one among the foremost institutes of national importance in higher technological education, basic and applied research. The Institute was formally inaugurated in 1959 by Prof. Humayun Kabir, Union Minister for Scientific Research and Cultural Affairs. All activities began in 1956, when Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India,was offered assistance by the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany, to set up a higher technological institute in India, on his official visit to West Germany. IIT Madras is a residential institute with nearly 460 faculty, 4500 students and 1250 administrative & supporting staff and is a self-contained campus of about 250 hectares. It has established itself as a premier centre for teaching, research and industrial consultancy in the country.
IITM's VISION, MISSION, QUALITY POLICY AND CORE VALUES
The Vision of the institution is to strive continuously for excellence in education, research and technological service to the nation.
The Mission is to create and sustain a community of learning in which students acquire knowledge and learn to apply it professionally with due consideration for ethical, ecological and economic issues. Also, it aims to provide knowledge-based technological services to satisfy the needs of society and industry and to help in building national capabilities in science, technology, humanities, management, education and research.
To pursue global standards of excellence in all our endeavors namely teaching, research, and consultancy and continuing education and to remain accountable in our core and support functions, through processes of self-evaluation and continuous improvement.
In pursuit of its mission IITM will:
* Develop human resources to serve the nation
* Recognize teaching as a unifying activity
* Nurture integrity, creativity and academic freedom
* Retain a willingness to experiment with new paradigms
The Placement Office is involved in arranging placements for students passing out from the Institute. The office keeps close relationship with various industrial establishments (both private and public sectors), which conduct campus interviews and select graduate and post-graduate students from all disciplines. The Placement Cell provides the infra-structural facilities to conduct group discussions, tests and interviews.
The industries which approach the institute are mainly:
* Core Engineering industries
* Software/IT Industries
* Manufacturing Industries
* Consultancy Firms
* Management Organizations
* R&D laboratories etc.
- Takes steps in arranging Training and Continuing Education Program
- IITM developed a Center for Industrial Consultancy and Sponsored Research (IC&SR) in the early seventies to promote interaction between the Industry and the Institute.
Apart from teaching and research, faculty and technical staff of the Institute take up many assignments of direct relevance to the Industry. This activity is known as Industrial Consultancy and many include one or more of the following.
Testing and certification of Industrial products.
Development of prototypes and their testing.
Exploring new approaches to Design and Manufacturing.
Help design new products.
Investigate/correct problems, manufacturing of equipment.
Offer specialized programs to the Industry to keep them abreast of latest developments.
Sponsored Research include research in areas of current relevance, new investigations, product or system development etc.
- IITM also facilitates AICTE SPONSORED short term training programmes.
Tasks And Events: - Conferences:
Recently IITM has involved in arranging for the following Conferences
* HOIT 2007
IIT-M is co-sponsoring the HOIT-2007 conference which will be held in IIT-M in Aug 2007.
International Workshop on Advances in Surface Technology 2007.
* CAE 2007
International Conference on Computer Aided Designing:
* 9th ISMQC
9th International Symposium on Measurement and Quality Control.
About IIT Delhi:
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi was established as College of Engineering in 1961 and was later declared an Institution of National Importance under the "Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 1963" and so renamed as IIT Delhi. It was then accorded the status of a deemed university with powers to decide its own academic policy, to conduct its own examinations, and to award its own degrees.HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, laid the foundation stone of the Institute on January 27, 1959. The Institute was inaugurated by Prof. Humayun Kabir, Union Minister for Scientific Research and Cultural Affairs on August 21, 1961.
Apart from regular professional courses it also offers
Master of Technology [M.Tech.]
IIT Delhi offers 2 years M.Tech degree in the following disciplines:
Energy and Environment Management
Industrial Tribology & Maintenance Engineering
Opto-Electronics & Optical Communication
Polymer Science and Technology
VLSI Design, Tool & Technology
Power Generation Technology (for Engineers Sponsored by NTPC)
Telecommunication Technology & Management
IIT Delhi also gives a wonderful opportunities for the students to participate in the following activities:
Students Activity Centre
Recreational & Creative Activities (RCA)
Sports and Games
National Cadet Corps (NCC)
National Service Scheme (NSS)
National Sports Organization (NSO)
Board for Student Publications (BSP)
TRYST: Student's Technical Festival
Industrial Research & Development Unit:
The Industrial R&D Unit has been specifically set up to provide specialised administrative and managerial support for the operation of sponsored research, consultancy and other related R&D activities of the Institute. The main functions of IRD Unit include administrative support for:
Promotion of Institute-Industry Interaction.
Sponsored Research Projects.
Collaboration with Institutions in India and Abroad.
MHRD funded Projects.
Mission Projects jointly supported by MHRD and Industry.
Patents, Know-how and Transfer of Technology.
Summer Undergraduate Research Awards (SURA)
Research Assistance Grant to New Faculty Members of the Institute.
Selective Scholarships to Institute Research Scholars.
- The Foundation for Innovation and Technology Transfer (FITT) was established at the Indian
Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi).
- Mission: To be an effective interface with the industry to foster, promote and sustain commercialisation of Science & Technology in the Institute for mutual benefits.The primary objective of FITT is to market the intellectual ware of IIT to industry on competitive terms and at the same time inject industrial relevance to IIT’s teaching and research activities.
- IIT Delhi,also provides an outstanding faculty whose functions are not merely teaching but also involved at cutting-edge research, for which several prestigious awards and recognitions have been bestowed upon them.
Quite a number of short term and medium term education courses on emerging technologies have been organized and a number of important problem solving innovative and research oriented consultancy projects have been taken up
- Central Facilities @ IIT Delhi
Computer Services Center [CSC] : The Centre is equipped with PARAM 10000, IBM RS/6000 SP, Sun Ultra Enterprise Server 3000& 4000, Java Stations and Graphic workstations connected over a switched fast Ethernet.
Glass Blowing Workshop.
About IIT Guwahati: Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, the sixth member of the IIT fraternity, is the premier institute of engineering science and technology acknowledged nationally and internationally. IIT Guwahati has been able to build up the necessary infrastructure for carrying out advanced research and has been equipped with scientific and engineering instruments within a short period of time.
The Academic activities began in 1995 initially with the BTech program in three departments – Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. At present the Institute has eleven departments and three academic centres with the responsibilities of teaching and research which offers BTech, BDes, MSc, MTech, MD and PhD programs.
Facilities: - The Central Library: One of the important facilities of the Institute,is the central library which currently has 81,000 volumes, including textbooks, reference books, conference proceedings, back volumes, standards, and non-book material such as CD-ROMs, audio tapes, video tapes, slides. The Library also subscribes to about 484 current periodicals. All operations of the Library are automated with the help of an integrated library software package. The On-Line Public Access Catalog (OPAC) is the campus network that makes available the database of entire collection which is available through Institute's Intranet as a Web enabled OPAC.
- Continuing Education Programs: The objective of this program is to train professionals and to encourage design and development in the field of software technology and software engineering.
Offers training in
* Computer Applications Programming - Entry Level, Advanced.
* Java Programming, Oracle, Workshop on Internet & Web Page Programming etc.
IIT Guwahati has an exemplary campus placement record. The students have secured challenging and highly paid positions in top ranking companies/organizations whose abilities are well attested by the excellent reports from the recruiting companies.
No.of students registered for placement (BTech +BDes+MTech): 342
Number of students placed (BTech+BDes+MTech): 315
Highest package (Rs. in Lacs per annum)
Average pakcage (Rs. In Lacs per annum)
Participating Companies: 78
- IIT Guwahati being a technological institution of national importance has been catering to the modern research needed through its teaching as well as research programs. The research programs are undertaken in terms of consultancy, sponsored projects or in the form of collaborative venture with reputed organization all over the world.
- The Institute aims to march forward in the areas of basic and applied research, to generate new knowledge and create knowledge bank, both at the national and international levels. The R&D office provides necessary help to invite meaningful and deliverable participation not only from faculty and students but also from the government funding agencies, business confederation, multi-national companies and private companies from India and abroad in R&D activities. It also encourages collaborative projects in the way of training manpower, infrastructure development and for deliverable research.
The National Institute of Technology (formerly known as Regional Engineering College) Tiruchirappalli,was started as a joint and co-operative venture of the Government of India and the Government of Tamil Nadu in 1964. The college has been conferred with autonomy in financial and administrative matters to achieve rapid development. Because of this rich experience, this institution was granted Deemed University Status with the approval of the UGC/AICTE and Govt. of India in the year 2003 and renamed as National Institute of Technology. NIT-T was registered under Societies Registration Act XXVII of 1975. The college sets an example for cultural unity with students drawn from most of the states in the country.
VISION, MISSION AND CORE VALUES OF NITT:
- To contribute to India and the World through excellence in scientific and technical education
- To serve as a valuable resource for industry and society and
- To increase the human values and sustain the heritage of India.
The main aim is to promote academic growth by offering state-of-the-art undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes, generate new knowledge by engaging in cutting-edge research, identify, areas of specialization upon which the Institute can concentrate, undertake collaborative projects which offer opportunities for long-term interaction with academia and industry and develop human potential to its fullest extent of intellectual capability.
The core values of the institution is to attain - Academic integrity and Accountability-Equality-Social Relevance-Intellectual Excellence and Creativity-Entrepreneurship.
Training and Placement:
The department of Training and Placement has the following functions and responsibilities:
- Organizes and coordinates frequent industrial visits, implant training and projects of industrial relevance for the students, with the aim of nurturing Industry Institute interaction thus zeroing down the hiatus between the industry and the academia.
- Receives and forwards the feedback pertinent to curriculum improvement from the visiting companies to the faculty, to ensure that the curriculum follows the latest industrial trends. Helps every student define his/her career interest through individual expert counseling.
- Makes available updated database and job profile of the companies and thus helps each student analyze and choose company of his interest. The department has in its active file a database of nearly 1500 companies.
- Organizes and coordinates Campus Placement Program, to fulfill its commitment of a job to every aspirant.
- Works towards continuing education for the college employees. Over the years, the department has maintained symbiotic, vibrant and purposeful relationship with Industries across the country. About 125 - 150 companies visit the campus every year.
Percentage of placed students-UG:
The overall UG placement from 2001 to 2007 is found to be
Facilities & Curriculum Activities:
- The Central Library, being one of the important central facilities of the Institute, currently has 72,000 volumes, including textbooks, reference books, conference proceedings, back volumes, standards, and non-book material such as CD-ROMs, audio tapes, video tapes and more.
- CAD/CAM: NIT, Tiruchirappalli has a well established CAD/CAM Center with the necessary Software & related Hardware. It regularly conducts training programs and short-term courses in the area of CAD/CAM/CAE to educate/train the students & industrialist in this area by taking up consultancy projects and to give in-depth exposure to the latest packages.
- The Sports Centre is the hub of sports activities is planned as a multi-facility & multi-
disciplinary sports complex. Also has outdoor stadium of about 400M track.
- The sterling hallmark of this campus is the OCTAGON - Computer Center. The OCTAGON
accommodates the central computing facilities.
- Tiruchi Regional Engineering College - Science and Technology Entrepreneurs Park (TREC- STEP) has come up with innovative start-up promotion strategies. It is one of the first Science Parks/Technology Business Incubators in the country.
Also Out-standing student award, which consists of a Gold coated Silver medal with citation, is given to the student having excellence in all-round performance in order to motivate the students.
- Better interaction between Technical institutions and industry is the need of the hour. Thus to promote Industry - Institute Interaction following schemes are being undertaken.
Establishing Industry-Institute Partnership/interaction Cell, Organizing Workshops, conferences and symposia with joint participation of the faculty and the industries, arranging for guest lectures, MOU’s between the Institute and industries to bring the two sides emotionally and strategically closer, etc.
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING ANNA UNIVERSITY Progress through knowledge
About The College:
Anna University being established on 4th September 1978 as a unitary type of University offers higher education in Engineering, Technology and allied Sciences relevant to the current and projected needs of the society. Besides promoting research and wide knowledge gained therefrom, it fosters cooperation between the academic and industrial communities. The University was formed by bringing together and integrating two well-known technical institutions in the city of Madras.
College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG)(1794)
Madras Institute of Technology, Chrompet (MIT)(1949) and three Technological
Departments of the University of Madras.
Alagappa College of Technology (ACT)(1944)
School of Architecture and Planning (SAP)(1957)
Since December 2001, it has become a large, highly renowned affiliated University, having brought into its fold about 225 Self-financing Engineering Colleges, six Government Colleges and three Government-aided Engineering colleges located in various parts of Tamil Nadu State.
The Anna University, is a member of the Association of Indian Universities, the Association of Commonwealth Universities and Partner of UNESCO International Center for Engineering Education (UICEE). UGC have officially recognized Anna University with Five Star Status in 2002 which is the highest rating. The institute was able to receive this honor for a period of five years for excellence in Technical Education.
As it strives to be recognized as a world class center of learning in engineering, technology and applied sciences Anna University is committed to
- Raising the quality of education and maintaining the University as an effective human resource development institution under all changing conditions.
- Contributing to the growth of technical education and upholding the highest ethical and professional standards
- Serving society to lead to its enrichment and advancement.
- Discharging duties and obligations to the students and staff efficiently.
- Improving the effectiveness of the Quality Management System continually.
Anna University Chennai has the following facilities:
- Educational Multimedia Research Centre
- AU-TVS Center for Quality Management
- AU-FRG Institute for CAD/CAM
- Centre for University Industry Collaboration
- Training Center for Career Advancement
- Centre for Engineering Partnership
- Centre for Women Empowerment
- Centre for Entrepreneurship Development
- Centre for Faculty Development
- Centre for Professional Development Education
- Curriculum Development Centre
- Health Centre, Logistic Centre, University Library
- Ramanujan Computing Centre
- Anna University Patriotic and People Oriented Science and Technology Centre
To achieve international standards in education, the institute has planned to introduce an innovative home-learning concept, visual education, which includes visuals, teaching modules, lectures, demonstrations, animations and graphics which will be distributed to students in the form of CDs. The project will start immediately and will be completed in 18 months. It will cover 100 subjects including engineering courses. The content will be developed by internationally recognized teachers. Short-term goal includes setting up of a committee to go into administrative, financial, and academic reforms and to upgrade the quality of research and development.
Centre for research:
The centre is functioning in this university right from its inception. It offers research program in multifarious branches of engineering, technology, science and humanities. Every year at least 120 scholars are awarded Ph.D degree and at least 50 scholars with M.S.
The University offers around
- 60 full time U.G courses - 14 part time U.G courses
- 76 full time P.G courses - 35 part time P.G courses
The University also arranges for excellent placement and training facilities for the students.
IT-BANARAS HINDU UNIVERSITY:
IT-BHU was formed by merging three premier engineering institutions of Banaras Hindu University viz., BENCO, MINMET and TECHNO to provide a strong and integrated educational base. The institute came into existence in 1971 and has not only played a role in producing graduate engineers with sound scientific and technological background, but has grown into a center which provides versatile postgraduate training and conducts advanced research in Engineering and Technology.
- IT Library: The Institute of Technology has a Main Library on a floor area of approx. 1400 Sq. M. It has over 83 thousand books including bound periodicals in general section. There is also "Text Book Bank" facility available to sixty percent deserving U.G students with a collection of ten thousand three hundred books.
- The institute has fully maintained workshops like Sheet Metal Workshop, Welding Workshop, Carpentry Workshop, Foundry Workshop, Fitting Workshop, Machining Workshop, Electroplating Workshop with all required machines installed in it.
- Provides facilities like Indoor Squash Courts, Tennis Courts, Swimming Pool, Flying Club, Mountaineering and Boating facilities etc. which are open to the entire University community.
* 59th IPC and 75th Anniversary of Pharmacy Education In India at BHU December 20-23, 2007
* Workshop on Grid Security in Open Access Regime (GSIOAR - 2007)
* 2nd International Conference on "Recent Advances in Composite Material" (2007)
* SHILP '07: All India Civil Engineering Festival and National Conference
* National Seminar on Energy (2007)
- Besides regular academics activities, the IT-GYMKHANA, ensures round the year activities and conducts three major national level festivals namely, TECHNEX (Technical Festival), KASHI-YATRA (Cultural Festival) and SPARDHA (Sports Festival).
Apart from these major festivals many minor festivals are also organized by the gymkhana to ensure the complete personality development of all the students.
- The major annual events organized by the Gymkhana include the (i) all India cultural meets such as Culfest/Sparsh, Charls A king Memorial Fine Arts Exhibition etc. (ii) Annual Sports Spardha (inter-institutional competitive events) (iii) Engineering Models Exhibition Technex (iv) Technical Paper contests like ‘Prastuti’.
- The University Sports Board also provides excellent opportunities and facilities in all games and sports.
- Many innovative activities like
Kashi Utkarsh - A student movement working for social upliftment of residents of slums in Varanasi.
SPICMACAY - SPICMACAY IT-BHU Chapter
Rang Samarpan - A Student Group conveying messages for social reform through Theater activities.
Abhivyakti - National Theater festival etc. are also carried on.
ITBHU Organization of Alumni, Inc. is incorporated for charitable purposes as governed by the California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law for the purpose of funding and promoting education and research among the students, faculty and alumni of the Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University at Varanasi, India or its successor institution.
Training and Placement Cell:
The Training and Placement Cell (TPO) of the Institute of Technology started functioning as early as in 1977-78. During past 25 years, the cell has been coordinating the placement of students in various industries/organizations and arranging for the summer practical training.
Placement positions for UG and PG for the following three years was recorded as
No. of Students
No. of Offers
No. of Students
No. of Offers
No. of Students
No. of Offers
Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS), Pilani
The Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS), Pilani is an all-India Institute for higher education. The primary motive of BITS is to "train young men and women able and eager to create and put into action such ideas, methods, techniques and information". The Institute is a dream come true of its founder late Mr G.D.Birla - an eminent industrialist, a participant in Indian freedom struggle and a close associate of the Father of Indian Nation late Mr. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (Mahatma Gandhi). BITS symbolizes the maturing of Indian technical ability and "can-do" entrepreneurial spirit, especially as derived from the private sector. BITS is located in the Vidya Vihar campus adjacent to the town of Pilani in Rajasthan.
Apart from the regular degree programs offered, it also offers:
- Integrated First Degree Programmes: These degrees are offered at the first tier nomenclature like B.E. (Hons.), B.Pharm. (Hons.), M.M.S (Master of Management Studies), M.Sc. (Hons.), M.Sc. (Tech.), and M.A. (Hons.). These are level wise equivalent degrees. These are called integrated degrees for two reasons: (i) there are several common courses like basic math and science amongst these degrees, and (ii) no intermediate degree, like, B.Sc., B.Sc. (Hons.), B.A., B.A. (Hons), etc. is awarded.
- Higher Degree Programmes: M.E/M.Pharm/M.Phil, Master of Business Administration:
- Flexibilities: Dual Degree Scheme
One of the flexibilities provided in the Institute's educational structure is the dual degree scheme under which it is possible for a student to work for and complete concurrently two integrated first degrees within a reasonable period of time.
Within the same tier:
It is possible for a student to seek transfer from one program to another in the middle of a program without having to start from the beginning.
From first degree to higher degree/PhD degree:
In the case of bright and promising students of the Integrated First degree programs a transfer to Higher Degree and/or PhD. degree may also be provided.
Between PhD and higher degree programs:
Under special situations a transfer between PhD and higher degree programs may be permitted. Movement in either direction is theoretically possible.
The facility of taking a course on audit is principally conceived to give an opportunity to a person to update his knowledge in selected courses.
Campus life: Clubs: The Institute has Music, Hindi Drama, English Drama, Hindi Press, English Press Clubs, Creative Activities Centre and English Language Activities and Hindi Activities Societies. In addition to these the Institute runs Recreational Activity Forum, Photography Club, Radio Club, Swimming Club, Cuckoo Club and Trekker's Club whose membership is open to students and staff. Festivals:
BITS primarily celebrates four festivals, two in the first semester of the academic year and two in the second.
The BITS'ian festivals are:
BOSM (BITS Open Sports Meet)
BOSM is an All India Sports Meet conducted every year during the month of September for a duration of five days. Few of the colleges that play during BOSM are IIT Kanpur, REC Jaipur, SBM Jain Banglore, Xavier's Mumbai, REC Kurukshetra, KMC Delhi, Khalsa Delhi and a lot more...
Oasis is the Cultural festival of BITS and is one of the most awaited festival amongst the college crowd.
Interface, the annual All India Management convention organized by the Management Association of BITS, Pilani encompasses a wide spectrum of activities.
APOGEE (A Professions-Oriented Gathering Over Educational Experiences)
APOGEE organised by the COSTTAn body is the academic festival of BITS. BITS has been organizing this festival for the past 20 years and is rated among the best academic festivals in India.
The Institute has an EARN WHILE YOU LEARN (EWYLP) scheme for the students of the Institute. Selected students are provided part-time jobs such as tutorial work, office assistance, work in BITS Coop etc.
Facilities: Central Library:
The library covers about 65000 sft area, is fully computerized and the library home page can be accessed all over the campus. Library has over 2,21,000 books and back volumes of journals. Other collections include CDs, videos and theses, dissertations, old question papers and Practice School Reports.
The Central workshop caters to the needs of all maintenance work and fabrication jobs of the Institute. The Workshop comprises of the following sections: Machine shop, Welding, Electroplating, Smithy, Carpentry, Foundry, Tool room, Metrology, Painting, Metal Processing & Metallurgy, Patterns, Automobiles, Electrical Shop, Generator, Fitting, Tool room project, CNC Training Centre and stores.
Instrumentation Centre is responsible for the installation, testing, service and maintenance of all instruments across the Institute. Some of the important laboratory facilities are Instrumentation Technology Lab, VLSI CAD Lab. (including number of Pentiums and Software Tools for Electronic Design Automation) and PCB Fabrication Lab.
Printing and Allied Facilities:
These services include word processing, off-set printing, binding, and photocopying. The facilities include off-set printing machines, machines for finishing, cutting, stitching, laminating, etc. and a number of photocopiers.
Institute has well equipped state of art computing facilities which include PARAM - 10000 Super Computer, 4 No. of RISC based SMP servers, 12 No of Intel based SMP servers, more than 550 number of Pentium machines and variety of printing and drafting accessories.
Other facilities include - Computer Assisted Housekeeping Unit,-Central Analytical Laboratory, --BITS
Astronomical Observatory, -Pilani Meteorological Observatory.
A separate Unit (Admissions and Placement division and Practice School Division) deals with this important activity. Further, the needs of placement efforts have been formalized, over the years, through large scale campus interviews, whereby about 90 industries send their experts to interview students who are about to graduate. BITS has a remarkable placement record and most students have their careers charted out well before they complete graduation. Around more than 100 companies all over India visit the campus for recruitments.
BITSAA - The BITS Alumni Association: "BITS Alumni Association (BITSAA) is functioning at the Institute as a nodal agency for maintaining liaison with the alumni all over the world and to involve them in the development of the institute.
Centres @ BITS
Technology Business Incubator, Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership, Centre for Robotics and Intelligent Systems, Centre for Desert Development Technologies, Centre for Women Studies, Professional Development Centre, Rain Water Harvesting.
Research @ BITS
Research & Development Centres
The Institute has established the following centres of Research and Development:
iSERC - Software Engineering Research Center (India)
Centre for Material Science & Technology
Centre for Research on Educational Innovation & Institutional Development
Centre for Renewable Energy and Environment Development
Centre for Robotics and Intelligent System
Embedded Controller Application Centre
Technology Innovation Centre
Other Specialized Laboratories include (i) Fiber Optics (ii) Process Control (iii) Flexible
Seminars & Conferences:
The institute conducts following seminars:
- 4th National Seminar on Examination Reforms in Higher Education
Jointly organized by Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi and BITS, Pilani
- Silver Jubilee celebrations of 1977-1982 Batch
- Golden Jubilee celebrations of 1957 Batch
- International Symposium on Applied Psychology and Environmental Biotechnology (ISAPEB-2007)
- National Convention on Energizing Entrepreneurship through Innovation
- 2nd National Conference on MEMS, Micro sensors, Smart Materials, Structures and Systems (ISSS MEMS-2007)
Thus the engineering colleges play a vital role in the full fledeged development of an engineer.
The websites of all the above mentioned engineering colleges.
Chillibreeze's disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) and do not reflect the views of Chillibreeze as a company. Chillibreeze has a strict anti-plagiarism policy. Please contact us to report any copyright issues related to this article.
Out of 5 “chilies”, our editorial team gave this article...
—About our writer:
Bhuvaneswari says, "I am a home maker and spend time in caring for my family. My hobbies include playing chess and puzzle solving. I have a passion for learning new innovations and developments. I am keenly intrested in story writing and reading classics."
>> Read more articles written by Chillibreeze writers: